Employee Substance Abuse Statistics
- 36% of workers say an addiction or substance abuse issue has affected them more since the pandemic began. (The Standard)
- One in four employees is concerned about their substance use levels. (Pathways’ Mind at Work: A Report on Employee Mental Health)
- 57% of employees lost 10+ hours of productivity per week due to substance abuse. (The Standard)
Employee Engagement and Productivity Statistics
- Only 36% of employees are engaged in their work and workplace. (Gallup)
- The percentage of actively disengaged employees is up to 15% in 2021. (Gallup)
- Almost 20% of employees showed a high level of concern with their productivity levels in 2020. (Pathways’ Mind at Work: A Report on Employee Mental Health)
- Highly engaged employees and business units are 21% more profitable (Gallup)
Statistics on Employer Mental Health Support and Wellness Programs
- 53% of employers added mental health programs to address COVID-19 concerns in 2021. (PwC’s 2021 Health and Well-being Touchstone Survey)
- 72% of employees want employers to champion mental health and well-being, but 63% think their workplace is unhelpful (Peldon Rose).
- 44% of employers added or increased wellness programs. (PwC’s 2021 Health and Well-being Touchstone Survey)
- 70% of employees enrolled in wellness programs have reported higher job satisfaction than those not enrolled in the companies’ programs. (Alfac’s Workforces Report)
- 67% of employees with a mental illness report that it is challenging to access care. (McKinsey and Co.)
The statistics you see above are striking; but, they don’t paint a complete picture. Individual employee mental health is not easy to quantify, and the ongoing challenges caused by the pandemic continue to influence and shape the minds and well-being of American workers.
As business leaders look toward the future, one thing is sure—employees want mental health and well-being support to be a pillar in the U.S. Workforce and at their place of employment.
Implementing an employee mental health program gives employees the tools necessary to manage their emotions and stress effectively. When you equip employees with well-being skills and coping mechanisms, they can better manage their work and personal lives.
To learn more about the top concerns of your employees, please check out our most recent report: